Monday, September 14, 2009

The Beach and Homestay Preparations

Since this is my last chance to take advantage of the hotel wi-fi before I move into my homestay here, I figured I'd post one more time.

Yesterday, we took a tour of Dakar, seeing everything from downtown again, to the east coast, to the west coast (which is where all of the rich people live). Much like I saw in Maputo, there's very much a vast range of socioeconomic backgrounds here.

We went to the beach at the end of the tour, which was very lovely. I originally hadn't planned to swim for fear of hookworms, but upon recognizing that I don't often get the opportunity to swim in the ocean, I changed my mind. Ultimately, I was glad I did, and I could easily see myself going to the beach once a week for the remainder of this program.

Anyhow, I need to pack up and eat breakfast, so that's all I have time for. I'll post again once I'm settled in my homestay and I've found a decent cyber cafe nearby.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm, hookworms... guuugghghgghg (imagine Homer Simpson drooling noise here)

    ReplyDelete